Hearing loss is a common occurrence as we age, but it is not an inevitable part of aging. Unlike other areas of health that may be treated to improve them, once hearing loss occurs it cannot be brought back.
Hearing loss is a serious condition, and not just because it affects your ability to hear. Several studies have linked hearing loss to dementia and social isolation, which can contribute to depression.
Although hearing cannot be restored, there are things you can do to improve your hearing.
5 Activities to Improve Hearing
- Exercise: Exercise is important for hearing because it promotes proper blood circulation. Your ears, like other areas of the body, require ample blood circulation to function properly. The more blood circulation we have, the better our ears can function. One study found that among 68,000 nurses, those who worked out for at least two hours a week throughout 20 years had a reduced risk of hearing loss compared to those who were inactive.
- Yoga: Yoga is another way to improve blood circulation, and there are specific poses designed for the ears. Tree pose, lotus, triangle, and camel pose are just some poses to begin with to improve hearing. Some studies have also found that yoga may help improve tinnitus – ringing in the ears.
- Play games: Playing games that test your auditory system have been found to improve hearing. Among a group of seniors who were either given memory tests or told to follow conversations, those who listened to conversations had better hearing.
- Sound location: Wherever your location is, try to focus on the surrounding sounds and attempt to distinguish what is making those noises. Also, attempt to focus on certain sounds and then drain them out. These techniques can help you better focus on conversations in noisy environments.
- Meditation: Meditation is important because it can reduce blood pressure and improve blood circulation, which is vital for hearing. Furthermore, meditation can reduce stress and stress can cause damage to the various systems in the body.
- 19 foods that increase blood flow
- Tinnitus Management: Therapies and exercises to manage ringing in the ears
- What can cause muffled hearing? Home remedies to get rid of muffled hearing