By now, you’ve probably heard of hemp seeds but may not understand what they are and how to consume them. Some of you may assume hemp seeds are related to marijuana, so you may have avoided them for this reason. While it is true that hemp seeds derive from the cannabis plant, they do not produce a mind-altering effect.
In fact, these tiny seeds are packed with protein, fiber, healthy fats, omegas, and antioxidants, which really makes them a superfood.
Here are seven benefits of hemp seeds which you probably didn’t know of.
7 Benefits of Hemp Seeds
- Hemp seeds have as much protein as soybeans, with 9.45 grams of protein per 3 grams. Furthermore, hemp seeds offer a complete source of protein, meaning they contain all nine essential amino acids
- There are steady warnings to avoid saturated fat and swap it for unsaturated fats, which is where hemp seeds shine. Hemp seeds provide polyunsaturated fats along with omegas, which are known to support good health
- Fiber is essential in relieving constipation, helping to maintain good health, reducing one’s appetite, and helping stabilize blood sugars. Three tablespoons of hemp seeds roughly contain 1.2 grams of fiber
- Hemp seeds provide a wide variety of essential vitamins and minerals including vitamin E, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, iron, zinc, and B vitamins
- Hemp seeds have been found to have an antioxidant effect that may offer protection to the brain along with aiding in the treatment of many neurological diseases like Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and multiple sclerosis
- Due to their nutrients, hemp seeds can help support a healthy heart. Furthermore, these nutrients help the body produce nitric oxide, which is necessary for the dilation of blood vessels to support healthy blood circulation
- Nutrients in hemp seeds may help reduce inflammation in the body, which can trigger illness and health problems. Inflammation is a known trigger to several health conditions including diabetes, heart disease, and liver disease to name a few, so reducing inflammation can help manage and reduce the risk of these conditions.
As you can see, hemp seeds can go a long way toward improving health in a variety of ways. Furthermore, they can easily be added to any smoothie or meal to give it an added nutritional boost.