While many people run to their doctors for pain medication at the first sign of joint pain, it’s becoming increasingly common for people to seek out homeopathic remedies to treat pain without the need for medication. And the good news is that there are various ways to naturally treat pain which will help you to enjoy a pain-free lifestyle.
What is Joint Pain and What Causes it?
Joints are found throughout your body, forming the connections between your bones. The role of joints is to provide support and help you move. However, damage to your joints can cause inflammation, joint pain, and can even make small movements difficult. Many conditions that cause joint pain include: strains and sprains, arthritis, bursitis, and gout among many other conditions. Joint pain can affect any joint in your body, but common areas are the knees, shoulders and hips. Unfortunately, the risk of joint pain increases as you age. The extent of suffering can range in severity from mild pain to debilitating pain and can be acute (lasting only a few weeks) or chronic (lasting several weeks to months). Depending on the severity of the pain, joint pain can interfere with your everyday life making it difficult to enjoy all that life has to offer.
Naturally Treat Pain with These Remedies
If you suffer from joint pain, here are five natural remedies that you can try to naturally treat pain without the side effects of medications.
- Cold/Hot Compresses – one of the simplest ways to naturally treat pain is to use cold and hot compresses. Applying ice for 10 to 15 minutes will help to reduce joint swelling and inflammation, while heat compresses will help to increase blood flow and help to relax the surrounding muscles. Try a combination of cold and hot therapy for the best results.
- Exercise – while exercise may seem like the last thing that you want to do when you’re in pain, getting active will provide you with natural pain relief. Exercise will help to improve strength and flexibility and reduce joint pain. Your exercise routine should include a mix of aerobic activities such as swimming, walking or biking, and other strengthening activities. Exercising is also an effective way to keep your weight under control which will help to relieve the stress on your joints.
- Alternative Medicine – acupuncture, massage therapy, chiropractic care and physical therapy can all help to naturally treat pain by helping to reduce muscle spasms, increase strength and increase range of motion.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin Supplements – these substances are both found in normal cartilage that helps to protect joints and cushion bones. Adding glucosamine and chondroitin supplements into your daily routine may help to ease joint pain and improve joint function.
- Mind-Body Therapy – stress and anxiety can sometimes increase your joint pain so it is important to manage them appropriately. Hypnosis, meditation and relaxation techniques may be just what you need to help relieve your stress and anxiety and this may help to decrease your joint pain.
If you’re suffering from joint pain try a combination of the natural remedies discussed above to help ease your joint pain. Getting your joint pain under control is the first step to enjoying a healthy, active lifestyle.