- Category: Cancer, Diabetes, Heart Health
- Meal: Breakfast
- Main Ingredients: Large Apples, Cored and Sliced Sucanat or Coconut Sugar
- Servings: Makes a plate
You might not think pancakes are a healthy recipe, but by using a whole-grain flour, low-fat yogurt and fresh apples, they become a healthy breakfast winner. Use a sweet version of the fruit, such as Gala, so you can reduce the amount of added sugar. The sweet topping also means you can leave out the syrup.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 large apples, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sucanat or coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup whole-grain flour (such as oat flour, whole spelt flour or whole-wheat flour)
- ½ cup low-fat milk (or a milk alternative such as almond or soy)
- 1 tablespoon low-fat, plain yogurt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Use cooking spray on a 9-inch pie plate. Sauté the apple slices in the coconut oil along with the sugar and spices. Transfer to the pie plate.
Beat the eggs and add the flour, milk, yogurt, salt and vanilla. Blend until combined, but batter may still be slightly lumpy. Pour over the apples. Bake for 20 minutes. Flip for a dramatic presentation.
Similar Health recipes