You may notice many body changes with the aging process, including damaged looking hair. Including protein rich foods as part of a healthy diet will help to protect your hair from damage – it’s that easy! Healthy looking hair will help you look younger and who doesn’t want to look younger during the aging process?
While there are many supplements currently available that claim to help with hair beauty, try to get protein through healthy food options. There are many foods that you can eat to get enough protein in your diet to protect your hair from damage and promote hair growth. Examples of protein rich foods include:
Healthy Hair Can Help You Look Younger
1. Salmon – this is packed full of omega-3 fatty acids, B12 and iron. Omega-3 fatty acids are vital for scalp health. If you don’t get enough omega-3 fatty acids your scalp and hair will be dry which will result in damage to your hair.
2. Beans – these are a good source of iron, zinc and biotin in addition to high levels of protein. Brittle hair can result with a biotin deficiency.
RELATED READING: Why You are Looking Old Before Your Time
3. Nuts – while nuts are high in calories, they are a great source of protein. Including a variety of nuts in your diet will help to ensure that you get selenium, omega-3 fatty acids, and zinc which will all protect your scalp and hair from damage.
4. Chicken and Turkey – these sources of quality protein. High quality protein will help promote healthy hair, making you look younger.
5. Eggs – any way you like them, eggs are a great source of protein. Eggs also contain biotin and B12 both of which protect your hair from damage.
6. Whole Grains – in addition to protein, whole grains provide you will B vitamins, zinc and iron.
7. Low Fat Dairy – these products contain whey and casein which are both quality protein sources. In addition, they contain calcium which is important for healthy looking hair.
Red meat is also a source of protein but consuming red meat comes with health risks including an increased risk of colon cancer, heart disease and diabetes. If you do include red meat as part of your diet, choose smaller portions of the leanest cut available.
Make sure you include a variety of protein rich foods to ensure you get all of the amino acids that your body needs to protect your hair from damage. With aging comes an increased risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes. There is evidence that shows that replacing red meat with vegetable sources of protein, poultry, fish and nuts not only protects your hair from damage, but also reduces your risk of getting one of these diseases associated with aging.
The aging process can make your hair look brittle, dry and damaged, but consuming protein rich foods with help minimize the effects of aging and help you look younger
Aging takes a toll on your body in so many ways, but damage to your hair doesn’t have to be one of them. If you want to look younger, be sure to eat enough protein to protect your hair from damage. Chances are, if you look younger, you’ll feel younger too!