The spring and summer seasons are a great time to get away and visit other places of the world. Taking a trip can help reduce stress, but if you have varicose veins, taking a prolonged trip could be dangerous.
Whether you’re driving around the country or taking a flight across the pond, prolonged sitting can have negative consequences for those with varicose veins due to the lack of circulation.
First off, car and airplane seats don’t offer you much leg room, so you’re stuck in a cramped position with little room to move around. When we’re unable to move, the blood can pool and the risk of a blood clot greatly increases. The biggest danger associated with a blood clot is that it can break off and lodge in another part of the body, like the brain or lung, which can have deadly consequences.
Flying is even worse than driving, since you’re at a high altitude. Cabin pressure can impact blood circulation. Although cabin pressure is intended to ensure that passengers are still receiving blood flow, the body doesn’t absorb as much oxygen up in the sky as it would being on land. This causes circulation to slow down.
Tips to Reduce Complications When Travelling with Varicose Veins
To travel safely, there are some tips you can follow to reduce your risk of complications while on your next vacation.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing as to not further constrict blood flow.
- Try to move your legs and feet as much as possible. If on a plane, try to get up when it’s safe and move your legs often. If on a road trip, take breaks once every few hours to get out and stretch.
- Wear compression stockings to prevent blood from pooling along with promoting blood flow.
- If possible, pay that extra fee to opt for more leg room.
- Ensure you’re staying hydrated, as airplanes are low in humidity, which can trigger dehydration. Furthermore, being hydrated supports healthy blood circulation.
- Avoid using a sleep aid as it can knock you out and help your sleep, but also keep you from moving.
- Essential oils for circulation: 10 best oils to improve blood circulation
- Varicose veins natural treatment: How to get rid of spider veins naturally