Fruits are a great source of vitamins that our body uses to stay healthy. Nutrition aside, fruits are just downright delicious. Many different fruits are contained within a peel. To get to the delicious center we remove the skin and toss it. Stop right there! Did you know by tossing out the peel of many common fruits you’re also throwing away additional nutrients, which can offer health benefits? It’s true!
The peel of a fruit may not look appealing as most of them get bruised in transit. But by only eating what’s on the inside, you put a limit on how beneficial that fruit could have been for you.
If you’re still skeptical, let us further explain a few different fruit peels that are edible and can help boost your health.
Banana peel benefits
If you step on a banana peel you may end up with a sore behind as the gag goes, but instead of tossing the outer layer, use the peel to benefit your health. Below are the numerous benefits that banana peels have to offer.
9 benefits of Banana Peels
- Teeth whitener – rub the inside of the banana peel along your teeth for up to one minute for optimal results
- Warts – rub or tie the peel over the wart overnight
- Pimples – rub pimples gently with a banana peel five minutes daily and watch them vanish. It could take up to a week.
- Pain relievers – apply banana peel on painful area – or combine with vegetable oil. Leave on until pain is gone
- Red, itchy skin – apply banana peel to affected area to reduce itchiness
- Bug bites – apply banana peel to relieve bug bites
- Polish – rub banana peel on shoelaces, silver and leather to polish them
- UV protection – place banana peel over the eyes to protect from UV rays
- Digestion – like the banana itself, their peel provides fiber, which is essential for healthy digestion.
Lemon peel benefits
7 Benefits from lemon peels
Lemons are great to improve digestion and can be used as a natural cleaning product. Likewise you should hold on to lemon peels for a bit longer to reap the benefits they have to offer. Benefits from lemon peels include:
- Bone health – lemon peels are high in vitamins which work to support bone health
- Eliminates toxins – just like drinking lemon juice can eliminate toxins, the peel can further assist in this
- Reduces cholesterol – polyphenol flavonoids in lemon peels allow it to promote good cholesterol
- Heart health – vitamins and minerals found in lemon peels work to support a healthy heart
- Oral health – vitamins in lemon peels work to promote healthy gums and teeth
- Weight loss
- Skin – lemon peels can help promote healthy, glowing skin, their vitamin content helps reduce free-radical damage, which can lead to skin discoloration and wrinkles.
Mango peel benefits
4 benefits of Mango Peels
Mangos are a delicious tropical fruit, and once again you can enjoy the peel. Here are some of the benefits of including the skin when enjoying your next mango.
- Antioxidants – mangos and their peel contain high amounts of antioxidants. Antioxidants work to reduce damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals can affect all parts of the body including skin, eyes and even heart.
- Weight loss – an Australian study revealed eating mangos with their skin could promote weight loss
- Digestion – eating mango peel can promote digestion and reduce constipation. Mango peel is also high in fiber, which is good for digestion and heart health alike
- Ease morning sickness.
Although it may be customary to throw away the peel for many of the fruits we enjoy, you may want to reconsider the peels of bananas, lemons and mangos as they offer a wide variety of health benefits.
If you want to promote calorie burning it really has a lot to do with what you eat. Of course while marrying proper diet and exercise together can burn the most calories; you can get a good head start by incorporating calorie-burning fruits into your diet. Continue reading…
We’re all pretty familiar with healthy tropical fruits. From pineapples to mangoes these delicious wonders are not only good, but good for us. But you may be missing out on another tropical fruit which is also offering a boost to your health. Continue reading…