Most of us have had it drummed into our heads from a very early age that fruits and vegetables are essential for good health. Motivated to lose weight, boost immunity or just feel better, people intuitively turn to fruits and vegetables to help them reach their goals. But a new study conducted by the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm now suggests that shopping in the produce aisle more often could actually be the difference between life and death, finding that eating more of these natural jewels can have the effect of extending your lifespan.
How are Fruits and Vegetables Important?
There are many different benefits associated with having a diet that consists mostly of fruits and vegetables. Whether the individual is looking to lower their blood pressure or if they are attempting to prevent ailments from occurring in the future, the benefits are relatively endless. With the help of healthier foods, healthier living is achievable. Some of the most common benefits of eating fruits and vegetables include:
- Reducing the risk of heart disease
- Lowering the risk of strokes and cancer
- Reducing the risk of digestive issues
- Reduce the risk of common illnesses
How Fruits and Vegetables Provide Life Longevity
As per Alicja Wolk, a researcher with the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, eating at least five servings of vegetables and fruits a day can assist you with living three years longer. The study worked with 71,000 Swedish residents between the ages of 45 and 83 over the course of 13 years. At the conclusion of the study, researchers determined that those who ate 3-5 servings of fruit lived 32 months longer than those who did not eat fruit on a daily basis.
Another benefit associated with eating the appropriate serving of fruits and vegetables on a daily basis is that you will be enriching your body with antioxidants. Antioxidants are powerful chemicals that fight against free radicals inside of the human body. Without the help of antioxidants, diseases and illnesses can travel throughout the carrier and become extremely detrimental. As per a second study, conducted by Chaoyang Li, MD, Ph.D., and the CDC, ingesting foods that are high in antioxidants helps to prevent individuals from experiencing premature death.
What Fruits and Vegetables are Beneficial?
When determining how to live a healthier lifestyle, it is imperative to determine what types of fruits and vegetables can assist you with your venture. There are many different vegetables and fruits available, but not all of them offer the same array of benefits. A few beneficial examples to eat on a daily basis are:
How to Get the Most Benefit from Your Fruits & Vegetables
Fruits and vegetables have been proven to prolong the lifespan of those who ingest at least 5 servings a day (Karolinska Institute, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). While changing your eating habits to incorporate more fruits and vegetables may be a challenge for some, there are a number of useful tips you can use to help you get the maximal number of nutrients from your fruits and vegetables, while also helping you maintain a healthy, enjoyable diet, boost your health and improve your well-being.
- Try and purchase fruits and vegetables that are grown locally; this indicated that they have been picked closer to the time of peak ripeness, which means that they have had more time to absorb nutrients from the soil and to mature their own store of nutrients.
- Prepare your fruits and vegetables as close to the time of purchase as possible. As fruits and vegetables age, their nutritional values diminish.
- Ensure that fruits and vegetables are eaten during every meal. Incorporating them regularly into breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks will help you ensure that you are getting the right number of servings you need for good health.
- Compile a stock of new, healthier recipes that offer you a variety of ways to prepare fruits and vegetables in delicious and fun dishes. This will turn them into an exciting part of your daily menu and will prevent them from feeling boring or tedious to eat.
With the opportunity to revolutionize your lifestyle, improve your life and prolong your longevity, adding more fruits and vegetables into your daily menu is one of the easiest and most essential things you can do to reach your health goals.