Whether you’ve spent decades typing, hammering nails, or filing, your hands are likely feeling it. The numerous joints in your hands are intricate and have been subject to plenty of abuse over the years.
Joint stiffness or pain in the hands can come from several sources. Sometimes it can be wear-and-tear. Sometimes they may cramp up. Or, you may be affected by a condition like psoriatic arthritis, or PsA.
PsA is a common condition that strikes the hands and is marked by joint and skin pain and inflammation.
Regardless of what’s causing the stiffness in your hands, you want to be able to get rid of it and move on with your life. You want fluid movement, an adequate range of motion, and most of all, access to the most valuable body parts you have.
Here are a few moves you can try to restore function in your mitts:
Flex and Bend: This strength is designed to restore range of motion and fluid movement.
1. Place your bent elbow on a table or armrest. Keep your wrist straight and palms facing up.
2. Bend fingers down, then extend. Repeat several times.
3. After several repetitions, slowly form a fist and hold for 10 seconds.
4. Open fingers, like you were going to catch a ball, and hold for another 10 seconds.
5. Move slowly and smoothly through each movement.
Finger Touches: This helps with finger function. If PsA hinders movement, that’s okay; go as far as you can.
1. Start with hand flat, palms facing up, and fingers fully extended.
2. Bend your thumb across your palm until it touches the base of your pinky finger. Hold it there for five seconds before returning to the starting position.
3. Complete the movement for each successive finger, returning to the starting position between each.
Finger Slides: May help preserve joint function and strengthen hand muscles.
1. Place palm down on a table with fingers spread apart.
2. Without bending, slide your index finger towards your thumb.
3. Continue along, sliding each finger towards your thumb.
4. When finished, slide them back to the starting position.
These movements may help prevent or fight back against joint pain. Give them a try to help restore functionality and comfort.