Poop in swimming pools may be a disgusting thought, but fecal matter is often found in these public cooldown areas. If you come into contact with poop in swimming pools, you can get quite sick.
Dr. William Schaffner from Vanderbilt University Medical Center said, “The most common problems people get while swimming are intestinal infections, either bacterial or viral.”
Symptoms related to poop in swimming pool contamination include diarrhea, vomiting, fever, and nausea. Symptoms can appear several hours later, so people may not even realize that their illness is a result of fecal contamination in the pool.
There are some ways to reduce the risk of contamination. Check the pool prior to entering it. Does it look clear? If not, you should not enter. You should also always shower prior to entering a pool, and if you have been experiencing stomach problems up to 24 hours prior you should not be entering a pool.
Parents should check the diapers of their young children regularly. If soiled, diapers should be changed away from poolside. Make sure to properly wash your hands afterwards.
Staffers should be immediately alerted if a child has soiled the pool, and proper protocol should be followed to clean and sanitize the pool once again.
Although poop in swimming pools can lead to illness, urine, on the other hand, is considered that dangerous, because it is sterile and dilutes quickly.
Schaffner concluded, “None of this should dampen anyone’s enthusiasm for the pool. With a few simple precautions, playing in the water can be safe and fun for everybody.”
Also, read Bel Marra Health’s article: Many popular sunscreens don’t meet safety standards.