Blood travels around the body through arteries. Arteries run all over your body carrying oxygen-rich blood to all the organs and extremities. In a healthy adult, blood can transport easily around the body delivering an adequate supply. But in a person with clogged arteries, blood flow becomes limited and slows down.
When blood supply becomes limited, especially to organs like the heart, brain and lungs, the organ function can start to diminish. Worse yet, clogged arteries are linked to incidences of stroke, heart attack and death.
Causes of clogged arteries
There are many contributing factors which can clog arteries such as:
- Poor diet – high fat foods, trans fat, saturated fats
- High LDL cholesterol – the ‘bad’ kind
- Abundant alcohol consumption
With all of these factors contributing to clogged arteries, can arteries ever be unclogged? Why yes, and in fact clogged arteries can very well be prevented. With some healthier lifestyle choices you can unclog your arteries and lower your risk of heart attack and stroke.
Natural prevention methods of clogged arteries
Don’t think that a diagnosis of clogged arteries is a death sentence; it’s not. Just because a doctor informs you that your arteries are clogged doesn’t mean you can’t start practicing healthier habits to reverse the damage. Here are some ways to unclog arteries naturally and prevent clogged arteries from forming again in the future.
- Eat or drink pomegranate seeds and juice
- Consume more whole grains
- Enjoy nuts
- Stick with lean meats
- Add spices to your meals
- Drink coffee for heart benefits
- Stick with olive oil
- Consume tea
- Eat fish
- Eat leafy greens
- Eat garlic
- Minimize animal protein consumption – milk and eggs
- Stock up on fiber
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water
- Stop smoking
- Minimize alcohol consumption
- Monitor and control your diabetes
- Monitor and control your hypertension
- Monitor and control your cholesterol
- Reduce stress
- Maintain a healthy weight or lose some if you’re overweight
- Minimize your intake of fatty, greasy, high-fat foods
By following these lifestyle and diet habits you can work your way to healthier, unclogged arteries which will protect your heart in the long run.