- Category: Heart Health
- Meal: Dinner
- Main Ingredients: Eggs, tomatoes, garlic
- Servings: 4
Over-easy, fried and hard-boiled aren’t the only ways to prepare eggs. Bake them in a sauce and serve with crusty whole-grain bread for a simple dinner. Easy recipes like these can also be a crowd pleaser.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil453922645
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with their juice
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 1 ounce pecorino Romano cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place a large saute pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Saute the onions until soft, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a minute or two longer. Stir in the diced tomatoes, red pepper flakes and smoked paprika. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Transfer the sauce to a shallow 9×13-inch baking pan. Crack the eggs onto the sauce, place them in rows. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the whites of the eggs are set and the yolks still soft. Sprinkle the Romano cheese over the top and serve with the bread.