Prostate health can be top of mind for aging men, and many wonder what they can do to reduce their chances of frustration or serious illness.
Food choices and exercise may be central to prostate health.
Many wonder if there are foods to eat that can help their prostate stay healthy. While they may ask their doctor or scour the internet in hopes of finding a list of foods that guarantees to shield them from trouble, no such list exists,
There are some foods that are linked with prostate health, but there is no concrete proof to show they work.
Instead of focusing on specific foods, it is wise to focus on overall eating patterns. Here are some things to pay attention to:
- Eat at least five servings of fruit and vegetables per day.
- Choose whole grain bread instead of white bread, and opt for whole grain pasta and cereals.
- Limit red meat, especially processed ones like hot dogs, bacon, and deli meat. Opt for fish, skinless chicken and other poultry, beans, and eggs for protein.
- Try to eat more healthy fats like olive oil, nuts, and avocado. Try to limit fats from sources like dairy and other animal products, and avoid all hydrogenated (trans) fats. Trans fats are usually in processed foods.
- Avoid sugar-sweetened drinks like soda, juice, and specialty coffee. Enjoy sugary snacks only as an occasional treat.
- Watch portion sizes to prevent weight gain.
In addition to eating, activity can also help promote and maintain a healthy prostate. Studies have shown that regular exercise is beneficial for prostate health in a few ways.
One study found that the more physically active men were, the less likely they were to experience BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia). BPH is the medical term for enlarged prostate. Even low- and moderate-intensity exercise showed benefit
Research has also found that men who ran for one hour or did rigorous work outdoors for three hours per week were 20 percent less likely to experience erectile dysfunction (ED) than men who did no exercise at all.
Eating better overall and regular exercise may help your prostate stay healthy. Good luck!