How to use essential oils for vertigo and dizziness: Benefits, warnings, and recipes
The use of essential oils for vertigo can be a great choice for helping to relieve this uncomfortable sensation. Vertigo is the feeling of unbalance or like the world is spinning around you. These feelings of unsteadiness can be the result of an underlying medical condition that affects the central nervous system, or the structures found in the ear that maintain balance. The use of essential oils for vertigo and dizziness can be an effective strategy, as they may help support the central nervous system, relieve periods of anxiety, and even help reduce inflammation and treat infections due to their antiseptic properties.
Vertigo is often thought of as being more than just feeling dizzy, as it can include symptoms of nausea, headache, confusion, and hearing impairment.
Depending on the underlying cause of your particular case, essential oils may help you feel like yourself again.
Benefits of essential oils for vertigo and dizziness
Essential oils have been used for the purposes of treatment for centuries. Essential oils represent the true essence of a plant and its healing properties. They can be used as a part of aromatherapy or mixed with carrier oils, such as jojoba or olive, and applied to the skin to gain its physical benefits. Many types of essential oils boost mental, emotional, and physical health.
Essential oils don’t typically treat just one symptom, such as vertigo, but they can help relieve many associated symptoms of a condition at the same time.
List of 15 best essential oils for vertigo:
- Lemon balm oil: Also called Melissa officinale, this essential oil helps induce a sense of calmness and reduces stress. It can also help promote sleep, improve appetite, and relieve nausea often associated with bouts of vertigo.
- Peppermint oil: A hybrid of spearmint and water mint, this oil contains two active compounds: methanol and methanone. The refreshing scent can help relived vertigo associated nausea as well as boost energy levels
- Ginger oil: One of the most widely used essential oils due to its usefulness for relieving nausea, indigestion, diarrhea, and other problems. It can also be used as a pain reliever when massaged into the skin.
- Lavender oil: Know for its pleasant scent, this essential oil also has medicinal properties that help to decrease anxiety, helping you relax. It can also be a great sleep aid.
- Cypress oil: A great option for reducing symptoms of congestion, especially in those suffering from a cold or flu. It can also help to reduce coughing and phlegm accumulation in the respiratory tract.
- Basil oil: Can help reduce stress, helping users to relax. It is also a great choice for treating nausea, motion sickness, and other digestive problems
- Clary Sage oil: Good for those who suffer from disorders like anxiety and nervousness, making it a great choice for helping to relieve dizziness and vertigo. Its pleasing scent can also help improve sleep and improve relaxation.
- Rosemary oil: Useful for improving migraine and headache symptoms. It is also known for having antiseptic properties. Due to its positive circulatory effects, rosemary oil can be a very good choice for reducing dizziness as well as congestion and cough.
- Rose oil: Derived from the popular flower, rose oil has incredible medical benefits to match its beauty. This includes helping to reduce symptoms of vertigo, depression, and anxiety. It can also help protect against infections and stomach ulcers. However, rose oil is not recommended for use by pregnant women.
- Tangerine oil: Known for increasing the red blood cell’s ability to retain oxygen helping to better deliver oxygen to muscle and reduce spasm. It is also ideal for reducing headaches, vertigo, and dizziness.
- Frankincense oil: A good choice for helping to reduce symptoms of vertigo caused by middle ear infection due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Frankincense oil can also be useful for sleep disorders, helping induce relaxation.
- Geranium oil: Reduces stress, depression, and helps users relax. It is also known for improving wound healing by preventing bacteria from entering the body through the site of injury.
- Bergamot oil: Known for having antidepressant properties, making bergamot oil a great choice for those suffering from mild cases of depression or sadness. It can also help increase the efficiency of blood circulation and hormone secretion.
- Neroli oil: Can help reduce symptoms of stress and anxiety, helping you to stay more relaxed. Neroli oil can also help reduce blood pressure, making it a great choice for those suffering from hypertension.
- Thyme oil: Has been proven in a 2014 study to significantly reduce dizziness and nausea, even providing better symptom relief than ibuprofen, a common anti-inflammatory medication.
How to use essential oils for vertigo
Despite knowing that essential oils can help treat muscle pain, you should never put pure essential oil directly onto your skin. The reason for this is because these oils are extremely concentrated and potent, potentially causing irritation or skin damage if they are used undiluted.
Instead, you can dilute your essential oils first before using them by mixing them into a carrier oil. Carrier oils are vegetable oils full of fatty acids that help disperse the tiny molecules of aromatic oils. Essential oils can be used in their pure form for certain applications, but directly on the skin or any other sensitive area is not recommended.
Carrier oils include argon, coconut, sesame, sweet almond, jojoba, and grapeseed. Massage two to three drops of your mixture onto your forehead, back of your neck, or temples.
Using essential oils two or three times a day is ideal for treating pain symptoms. It is important to keep in mind that results will vary depending on the cause of your pain and other factors.
Other methods for using essential oils include aromatherapy, during a bath, or using them on a warm or cold compress.
Essential oils may not be appropriate if pregnant, breastfeeding, or if you have low immunity. It is recommended to speak to a doctor or aromatherapy provider before using them.
Recipes for using essential oils
Dizziness Duo Blend
What you need:
- 2 drops peppermint
- 2 drops ginger
- 1 tsp coconut oil
Mix the two essential oils in the coconut oil and gently rub at the base of the skull of dizziness relief
Steady – Personal Inhaler Blend
What you need:
- 5 drops peppermint
- 3 drops rosemary
- 3 drops lavender
- Aromatherapy inhaler
- Remove the cotton wick from the inhaler and add your essential oil mix
- Put the wick back inside and plug and seal it
- Take deep breaths when needed
Roller bottle technique
What you need:
- 6 drops peppermint
- 5 drops ginger
- 2 drops lemon
- 1 Tsp. Coconut oil
- 10 ml roller bottle
- Roller bottle opener
- Remove the ball from the bottle and pour your essential oil mix into it
- Now add the coconut oil into the bottle
- Firmly seal the bottle shake the mixture together
- Massage on the temple, behind the ears, and on the forehead for dizziness and vertigo relief
Also Read: Vertigo exercises to overcome BPPV and Meniere’s disease
Share this information
Essential oils for migraines and headaches
Epley maneuver, semont maneuver, and foster maneuver for vertigo