Colon cleansing at home: Natural ways to detox your colon
A colon detox—or colon cleanse—is often recommended as a way of ridding the colon of toxins and lingering waste, undigested food, and mucus that have not been expelled from the body. A buildup of toxins and waste in the colon can cause weight gain and feelings of sluggishness among other symptoms.
The colon is your body’s waste management facility. The end product of all detoxification processes in your body will eventually end up in the colon to be expelled. When this waste is not properly expelled, it stays in the colon, leading to health problems.
Here are the three benefits of a colon detox:
- Colon detox can help you lose stubborn weight: The average person has seven to 10 pounds of waste just lingering in their colon.
- Waste and toxins in the colon increase the risk of bacteria and parasites, which can lead to illness. Eliminating this waste can keep you healthy.
- Due to everyday toxin exposure, some of our detoxification pathways may get blocked, hindering the release of the accumulated toxins.
Signs and symptoms of blocked detoxification pathways include an overall feeling of being unwell, fatigue, hormonal imbalance, constipation, diarrhea, achy muscles, insomnia, mucus discharge, fuzzy thinking, difficulty breathing, congestion, flu-like symptoms, cough, vision issues, fevers, vomiting, yeast infections, and weight gain.
If those symptoms sound familiar, here are some easy ways of detoxing your colon at home.
Colon detox through diet
The source of much of the waste in the colon is food, which can also be used for our detox purposes. The first step is avoiding certain foods that can contribute to further waste accumulation in the colon. These foods consist of processed food and sweets, refined food, excess amounts of cheese and dairy products, coffee, alcohol, and white sugar.
The next step is gradually incorporating foods that promote detoxification. These include fiber-rich foods, dark leafy greens, and vegetables in general.
Getting tested for any possible food allergies you may have is also important. You could be eating foods you are sensitive to, thus bringing more toxins into the body. A simple test can help you uncover which foods you should avoid.
Lastly, it’s important to stay well-hydrated and drink plenty of water. Water is a natural way of flushing out toxins and keeping the colon healthy. You can also take probiotics to keep your gut healthy.
Home remedies for colon cleansing
Here are some additional home remedies to aid in colon cleansing.
- Water: Staying hydrated by drinking plenty of water is great for colon cleansing. By drinking at least 10 to 12 glasses of water a day, you can achieve this. Consuming water regularly will give your body the liquid and lubrication required to flush out harmful toxins and waste in the most natural way possible.
- Apple juice: Considered one of the best home remedies for colon cleansing, drinking fresh apple juice encourages bowel movements, breaks down toxins, and improves the health of the liver as well as the digestive system. Drinking freshly squeezed apple juice followed by a glass of water 30 minutes later for at least three days can help cleanse the colon.
- Lemon juice: Packed with antioxidants and high in vitamin C, lemons are great for the digestive system. Lemon juice is best consumed by mixing the juice of a lemon with a pinch of sea salt and a little honey in a glass of water. Drinking this in the morning can provide more energy, better bowel movements, and even promote better skin.
- Raw vegetable juice: Stay away from processed and cooked food for one to two days, and instead, choose to drink fresh vegetable juice several times a day. Green vegetables contain chlorophyll, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and enzymes that help keep the body healthy and well energized.
- Fiber-rich foods: Eating foods that are high in fiber will help cleanse the colon of harmful toxins. Fiber keeps the stool soft and improves bowel movement, which helps expel waste from the body. Foods high in fiber include apples, artichokes, broccoli, cereals, whole grains, nuts, and seeds, just to name a few.
- Yogurt: Eating yogurt on a regular basis can help keep the colon healthy. Considered a probiotic food, yogurt has active cultures that will aid in the introduction of healthy bacteria to the gut that promote digestion. Adding fruit to your yogurt can help keep things interesting.
- Flaxseed: These are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and natural fibers. Adding flax seeds to the diet can be a great way to cleanse the colon, as it helps absorb water, assisting in removing toxins in your stool. To get the best results from flax seeds, grind them before consumption.
- Sea salt: A common seasoning ingredient, sea salt is full of detoxifying properties. Mixing one tablespoon of sea salt in water and boiling it, then letting it cool, can be a great way to utilize the detoxifying properties of sea salt. However, too much salt water can cause diarrhea, so it is important to drink plenty of water and fresh juices throughout the day.
- Aloe Vera: Known for its healing and detoxifying properties, aloe Vera can also act as a laxative, making it a great colon cleanser. Adding aloe Vera to lemon juice and drinking it several times a day can help cleanse the colon.
By incorporating some of these colon cleansing tips into your daily life, you can effectively promote a healthier colon and rid yourself of waste and toxins.
Colon cleansing benefits
Having a healthy colon provides a multitude of beneficial effects on the body. The following are just some of what you can expect by maintaining a diet that promotes colon health.
- Prevents constipation: This is a lack of regular bowel moments due to sluggish digestive response, which leaves waste in the system longer. Many conditions and irritants such as hemorrhoids and varicose veins can occur alongside constipation.
- Maintain a more effective digestive system: Having a healthy colon helps maintain adequate vitamin and nutrient absorption. It also allows for waste to pass more easily.
- Increases energy: Removing harmful toxins from the body can be rejuvenating to the body. Colon detoxification can improve blood circulation, provide a more restful sleep, and give a boost in energy.
- Improves concentration: An unhealthy diet can lead to poor absorption of important vitamins and nutrients that may cause you to become distracted and lose concentration much easier. Cleansing the colon with a healthy detox can be the difference between feeling alert and not being able to focus, affecting your work, relationships, and your overall health.
- Promotes weight loss: Consistently eating foods that are low in fiber can cause food to stay in the gut longer, sticking to the intestinal walls, weighing down the digestive tract with pounds of fecal matter. Colon detoxification can help get rid of this excess weight and kick-start the metabolism.
- Decreases colon cancer risk: By eating a healthy diet that promotes digestive health, you can release stagnant body waste. Doing this helps the body reduce the causes and risks of polyp development, cysts, and cancerous growths in the colon and gastrointestinal tract.
- Increase fertility: Eating a diet rich in fiber that aids in colon cleansing helps improve weight control. Excess fat cells in the body can promote excess estrogen production in both men and women, with the latter potentially having fertility problems if hormone imbalances occur.
Share this information
People who read this article should try...
Diverticulitis home remedies: Treating inflamed diverticula in colon naturally
Kidney cleanse: How to detox your kidneys naturally